Acts of nature, fire, damage or just plain bad luck can sometimes mean that you may lose valuable assets.  While we can't replace the sentimental value, it is important that you are able to financially cover the cost of replacing any losses.



Could you afford to start again?

House, Contents & Car
What is House, Contents & Car?

Maxi is our most comprehensive house insurance cover option. You’re covered for the cost of replacing your home, up to a sum insured amount that you choose. Your home is protected against burglary, vandalism, fire, flood, storms and natural disasters as well as accidental loss or damage. If you need to keep costs down, we also offer a Flexi cover option. With contents insurance you can choose from two levels of cover to suit you, but either way you’ll receive some great benefits like personal liability cover and alternative accommodation.  There are added benefits under the Maxi cover option, including transit cover for your contents if you move house and replacement value for most contents - which means for a total loss, we’ll replace your contents with a brand new item. MotorPlan Comprehensive cover means your insurance goes beyond just repair or replacement.  We’ll cover emergency costs for accommodation or your transport home after an accident. You are also covered for cleaning, valet costs and keys and locks if your vehicle is damaged when broken into. With three levels of car insurance cover – Comprehensive, Third Party, Fire and Theft and Third Party Only – you can choose the MotorPlan that best suits you.

Why do I need House, Contents & Car?

The personal assets you build up through the course of your life give you many things – security, comfort and memorable experiences.  Worry over losing them needn’t be part of the package. Fire and General insurance protection means you can relax and enjoy what you have.

We offer comprehensive policies across Home, Contents and Car that are designed to protect those personal assets and can be tailored to suit you.


Classic car auto insurance is cheaper than enthusiasts may think.

It seems counterintuitive for a classic car policy to cost less than a traditional one, but the reason is simple: Collectible cars are pampered.

Classic, Collectables & Hobby Cars cover
What is Classic, Collectables & Hobby Cars cover?

Vehicle insurance for your Classic, Collectable or Hobby Car. 

Why do I need Classic, Collectables & Hobby Cars cover?

With Collectable and Hobby Car Insurance your car is treated as a one of a kind – We get quotes to you from a team of professionals who are classic car enthusiasts and are passionate about your hobby and your vehicle. Depending on how many kilometres you do in your classic car, how many Classic cars you have, the rarity of them, your history, storage facility, the modifications. These things can all impact on your premiums.




How would you cover the medical bills?

Travel Insurance
What is Travel Insurance?

There are three policy options for travel insurance - Essentials, Comprehensive and Frequent Flyer. We think it’s important to give you the choice and flexibility to best suit your needs and your travelling style.

These polices have a range of features – some are standard to all policies, including medical and repatriation expenses, 24/7 emergency assistance by Allianz Global Assistance, luggage and personal effects cover and so much more. 
We also cover a range of sports for free including skiing and snowboarding, scuba diving (with PADI or NAUI qualification), hot air ballooning, parasailing, bungee jumping and more.

Why do I need Travel Insurance?

Even the most carefully planned travel can unexpectedly go wrong. Regardless of how careful you are, some events are simply beyond your control. With our travel insurance cove help is just a phone call away when emergencies strike. That way you can get on with enjoying your trip or at least have a safe return home.


The law requires businesses operate in a safe and careful manner. If a business carelessly causes bodily injury, it may face a negligence lawsuit. Slip-and-fall cases are examples of bodily injury negligence claims. For example, a hairstylist mops her ceramic foyer but fails to warn customers of the slippery conditions and a customer slips and breaks her leg. The customer's bodily injury claim for damages, pain, suffering and medical costs falls under commercial general liability coverage.

General Liability
What is General Liability?

General liability, also known as broadform liability, is cover for legal liability from damage or injury to third parties resultant from your business, products or services.

Why do I need General Liability Insurance?

General Liability insurance protects a company’s assets and pays for obligations – medical costs, for example –incurred if someone gets hurt on your property or when there are property damages or injuries caused by you or your employees. General Liability insurance also covers the cost of your legal defence and any settlement or award should you be successfully sued.  Typically these include compensatory damages, non-monetary losses suffered by the injured part and punitive damages. 

General liability insurance can also protect you against any liability as a tenant if you cause damage to a property that you rent, such as by fire or other covered loss.

Finally, it can also cover claims of false or misleading advertising, including libel, slander and copyright infringement.  

Even if you think you’re unlikely to face a claim, getting insurance is a wise investment that doesn’t need to cost much.It certainly costs a lot less than the thousands, if not millions of dollars you may need to spend fighting your case in court.



Do you have enough cash-on-hand to pay them out?

Employers Liability
What is Employers Liability?

Employers liability covers you for employee claims against employers for injuries at work, not covered by the A.C.C (eg. stress and soft tissue injuries).

Why do I need Employers Liability Insurance?

Whilst New Zealand's accident compensation scheme, the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides cover for most accidents at work, employees can still sue for work-related illnesses that the ACC does not cover, including:

  • Mental injury or stress not accompanied by any physical injury

  • Nervous shock or fright not accompanied by any physical injury (this may result in serious illness, such as heart attack or stroke)

  • Disease brought on over time (eg exposure to the elements or extremes of temperature).



All employers - no matter how large or small - are advised to have Employers Liability Insurance.

A property owner changed the use of his premises without obtaining proper consent. Although the building was situated in a commercial zone and was used partially for commercial purposes, the local authority discovered that part of the building was being let out for residential purposes. The property owner was prosecuted and fined for breaches of the Building Act.

Statutory Liability
What is Statutory Liability?

The Statutory Liability policy provides protection to businesses for:

  • Defence costs associated with alleged breaches of the Building Act, Consumer Guarantees Act, Fair Trading Act, Privacy Act and most other statutes affecting commercial activities. The notable exceptions are police prosecutions and taxation legislation.

  • The costs of representation at an investigation or inquiry.

  • Any fine or cash penalty payable by the insured following conviction for an offence under the insured statutes, except under the Health & Safety in Employment Act.

Why do I need Statutory Liability Insurance?

The policy protects the interests of the:

  • Company, including any declared subsidiary, for its own liability.

  • Company, by way of reimbursement to the extent that the company has directly indemnified any officer as it was legally obliged or permitted to do so.

  • Officers, which includes directors, trustees, managers and employees, in that capacity to the extent that the company has not directly indemnified them.



How would you cover legal costs, any fines imposed or penalties?

Professional Indemnity
What is Professional Indemnity?

Professional indemnity (errors and omissions) cover is for professionals providing advice and covers any error which causes financial harm.

Why do I need Professional Indemnity?

In service-based businesses your reputation means everything. It can take years to build a strong professional standing but an accusation of negligence, professional misconduct or a breach of your duty of care can destroy it in weeks or even days.

This type of cover ensure peace of mind for you, your employees and your business covering the costs associated with the specialist assistance required to defend allegations against you or your organisation. 


A small news agency owner died and the family business was left to his widow. The widow’s son took over the management of the company whilst the widow continued to be a Shareholder and Director of that company with no active day to day involvement. 

The company became insolvent and went into liquidation. A substantial supplier brought an action against the widow for the amount owed of $165,000. 

The Court found that it was no defence that the widow did not know about the company’s affairs and made her personally liable for the debts.

Directors & Officers Liability
What is Directors & Officers Liability?

Coverage is provided for:

  • The costs of personal legal representation incurred by individual Directors and Officers in the defence of any civil or criminal proceedings.

  • Settlements by or judgments, including claimants costs awarded against Directors and Officers where no indemnity is given by the company.

Why do I need Directors & Officers Liability?

Coverage is provided to protect the:

  • Officers of the company and its subsidiaries. This includes any Directors and Employees in those capacities and also extends to deemed directors under the Companies Act 1993.

  • Company itself, by way of reimbursement to the extent that the company has directly indemnified any Officer of the company as it was legally obliged or permitted to do so.



Even if you can work from home - do you have the equipment and cash-on-hand to do so?

Material Damage
What is Material Damage?

Material damage covers loss or damage to your commercial buildings, contents, plant, stock and other assets.

Why do I need Material Damage?

After a fire, flood, burglary, earthquake or other such event, there is obvious destruction, loss or damage to buildings, plant and stock. This physical loss or damage is covered under a Material Damage policy.


The Canterbury Earthquakes have created a complex business interruption environment. Most Business Interruption policies don't handle sequential events well. The fact businesses are affected not only by their material earthquake damage but also the overall effect of the earthquakes on the Canterbury economy provides fertile ground for adjustment disputes. There is little New Zealand case law to provide guidance.

Business Interruption​
What is Business Interruption?

Business Interruption covers you for your financial loss if your business is interrupted due to damage at your business premises.

Why do I need Business Interruption?

The impact of fire, flood, earthquake, burglary and even simple accidents may interrupt the normal pattern of business causing a reduction in earning capacity.

Following a Material Damage claim, Business Interruption Insurance will help keep your business running, covering loss of revenue, profits and paying fixed expenses. The most common claims we see are:

  1. Loss of profits after having to close temporarily due to a flood

  2. Increased costs of working such as leasing alternative premises and hiring equipment

  3. Landlords loss of rent when tenants can’t occupy a building



If one of your vehicles is not able to be used for work for a few weeks, how badly would that effect your business?

Commercial Vehicle Cover
What is Commercial Vehicle cover?

Commercial motor insurance gives you the option of covering your business vehicles for damage or total loss. If you have multiple business vehicles then a commercial motor fleet policy will provide cover for medium to large fleets. This can include taxis, trade vehicles or rental vehicle companies.

Why do I need Commercial Vehicle cover?

Comprehensive is our most popular level of cover. With our comprehensive option, if your business vehicles are stolen or damaged we’ll cover them for their market value, up to a Sum Insured that you set.

We’ll cover you for emergency accommodation and travel if your vehicle is no longer roadworthy after an accident. We offer cover for things like load recovery, salvage costs, trailers and tarpaulins, hoists and road clearing and we can also cover your employee’s vehicles while they’re being used for your business.

If you’re in an accident caused by a third party, you can make a claim and still keep your no claim bonus – we’ll even waive the excess if the third party admits fault.